Sunday, September 09, 2007

Recent Progress. . .

I am slowly (the key word is slowly) making changes to my studio. Moving things in, moving things out and finishing projects that have literally been staring at me for months! This chair is one of those.

I found it at a local antique mall a while back and fell in love with the woodwork (it is of Eastlake style). It was missing the seat and back and the legs appeared to have been cut down. I scooped it up as I knew I could do something cool with it - eventually! My father- in -law made me a new seat out of plywood that I covered with ledger paper. I am still trying to decide on the perfect trim for the edging (I'm leaning towards small mother of pearl buttons). Since it was a little short I thought I could use it as a shelf on this table to hold all of my old books. After much thought on what to do with the back, I decided to make it a cork board. I fell in love with Rebecca's idea (here) and thought it may work well for this. I covered my cork with an old feedsack and started pinning some of my millinery flowers to it (and will continue to fill it in with some of my large buttons as well). I had so much fun I went into the attic and pulled out some of my old frames and made some more (thanks for the help and inspiration Rebecca)!

So. . . as I finish up I will post more photos (I have had to put it on the back burner again to get the gallery stuff done and some other projects). Never enough time in the day. . .

Hope you all had a great weekend!

(Oh- in regards to a few of the comments about the Papercrafting Kits being sold out, they are not in case you haven't figured that out. I believe the site was jammed for the first couple of hours and kicked people off, etc. If you are still having problems just send us a note)!

Pin It!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!!! hope you post some more photo's of your studio would love to see it, I am having one built here and getting to the exciting stage of choosing finishes....

maryjo said...

love the chair!
looks great.
can't wait to see what other cool stuff u do in your new studio.
i love your great sense of style w/ the decor.
it's very inspiring.
any chance you'll get additional add-on sept kits?
maryjo

Jann Gray said...

Jenni it looks FABULOUS...it is going to be so very cool when you have it all "tricked out" with flowers and buttons...cause I am pretty much lovin' it NOW! I say after you get the gallery up that you make a date with yourself to finish it -- you will be totally inspired.

Anonymous said...

Lookin' good Jenni. I always enjoy your home decor (studio) photos.

Have a nice day :-)

Anonymous said...

Jenni, the more I look at that chair, the more I think your idea was inspirational. Just never thought of using a chair as a tableau of other items....well, one does have to have the space for it too....the cork backing full of silks--yummy. Let us see any updates to its creation.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous beginning on the chair Jenni! It's really a treat to look at and I'm sure it's perfectly happy in your studio!

Gordostyle said...

I am just curious, did you initially have a link to Rebecca's post when you first blogged this last comment? I remember going to a sewing spool project with a frame around it...and I would love to see it again so I can share the idea with my mom-in-law. Let me know. Thanks so much!

By the way, love, love, love the chair!

Martha said...

Antiques...what a great way to make your scrap space a place of inspiration! I can't wait to see when it's all done...

Jo said...

Love the chair!!!
I too have 3 Eastlake pieces. A straight back chair like the one you purchased, a loveseat, and a stationary based rocker. They were my grandparents. They date to the 1890s. I love the rocker the most, I remember my grandfather sitting in it when I was a child.
Kudos to you for finding the chair. Take good care of it.
I have often thought of taking mine to the Antiques Roadshow when it's in town. Just curious...